The Order of the Arrow Unit Representative is a youth, serving their Unit as the primary liaison to the Lodge and the Unit's Chapter. Unit Reps meets the unit’s needs by providing a communication and programmatic link to and from all Arrowmen, Scouts who are not presently members of the Order, and adult leaders. These efforts are meant to assist the unit and its members in achieving the mission of the Boy Scouts of America, and at the same time fulfilling the lodge’s role in the Strategic Plan of the Order of the Arrow of being an integral part of the council. By setting a good example, they will enhance the image of the Order as a service arm to his unit. Periodically, the lodge holds an OA - Unit Rep. Training. Here is the link to our most recent one OA Rep Training - Wag-O-Shag Lodge.
OA Troop Representative Duties:
- Attends unit and chapter/lodge meetings regularly as a youth representative of the troop and lodge.
- Serves as a two-way communication link between the unit and the lodge or chapter.
- Presents an OA Minute at every unit meeting to explain the OA and upcoming lodge events.
- Promotes membership in the lodge.
- Arranges with the chapter election team to conduct an annual Order of the Arrow election for the troop at a time approved by the unit's leadership committee.
- As requested by the unit's youth leader, participates in Courts of Honor by recognizing leadership, camping, and OA Inductions.
- Coordinates the Ordeal Induction process for newly elected candidates by promoting ordeal and distributing ordeal information.
- Promotes and tests unit's ordeal candidates for Brotherhood.
- Assists the unit as a trainer of leadership and outdoor skills and the unit's service chair.
- Sets a good example by wearing the uniform correctly, showing Scout spirit, and living by the Scout Oath, the Scout Law, and the OA Obligation.
- Under 18 for troop and under 21 for crews and ships.
- Appointed by unit's youth leader with adult leader approval
- OA Member in good standing
- Unit youth and adult leader
- May be included as a member of the unit's leadership committee at the discretion of the unit's leadership.
- Serves for a 12 month period
- Appointed at least 60 days before the unit election to facilitate election procedures and fulfill follow-up duties
- May continue to coordinate with Ordeal candidates elected during his term as they progress to Brotherhood membership even after his term has expired.
A unit should also consider appointing an adult as a Unit - OA Representative Adviser to assist the youth in fulfilling the above duties.
After being appointed by your youth leader and approved by your adult leader please make sure you unit leader completes the form below so we can update our records.